Substance Abuse Evaluations
Outpatient Alcohol and Drug Counseling
Our substance abuse specialists offer counseling for people with addictions or abuse as well as their family members. Even if the substance abuser is not in treatment, family members may be helped through therapy. The focus of therapy is not only on relapse prevention (staying clean and sober), but also on addressing the underlying emotional issues that the client is attempting to avoid by self-medicating through substance abuse or compulsive behaviors such as watching porn, gambling, shopping, and overeating.
Self- Assessment Quiz
If you find yourself questioning whether or not you or someone you love has an addiction or you are feeling overwhelmed by your inability to control your compulsive behavior, answer the questions below developed by Johns Hopkins University. You may substitute the words “drug use” or “compulsive behavior” for drinking.
1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation?
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of your drinking?
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
12. Does your drinking cause you to have difficulties in sleeping?
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
14. Is your drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or troubles?
16. Do you drink alone?
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory?
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
19. Do you drink to build your self confidence?
20. Have you ever been in a hospital or institution on account of drinking?
Scoring: If you answered yes to more than three questions there is a probability you may have a problem. We are here to help. Contact us today and let our therapists help you reduce your dependence on unhealthy behaviors that get in the way of having a wonderful life.